Wrote some tips on tweeting for another forum and thought I'd share them here!
If you've come here from twitter you'll know this but my twitter is @bubbalou
Anyway..... Here are my tips
1. Engage. Write @ replies to lots of people and have conversations
2. Follow people who you like, about half will follow back.
3. Celebrities probably won't follow back. but if you write them a question, make it relevant and you'll get a lot of followers from that if they reply.
4. Retweet content that interests you.
5. Vary what you talk about. Politics is important but put some human interest in there too.
6. Try and spice up the content every so often with a pic or joke.
7. Don't obsess about losing followers, it's not facebook.
8. Use something like Tweetdeck to manage columns of hashtags (when people put # before topics of conversations like #bbcqt for Question Time)
9. Talk about things as they are happening. For instance use the hashtag #bbcqt when it's on and tweet relevant thoughts and opinions. People will probably start either retweeting or @ replying to you, and then you're on your way
10. Check in regularly, nothing more offputting when following to see someone hasn't tweeted since july 2010
11. You can only follow 2000 people until...
12. ....if over 1900 people follow you, when you can follow more than 2000 people.
Good luck and happy tweeting