Friday, 17 August 2012

On Feminists and Men, and Feminist Men....



Over the last year which has included Caitlin Moran’s rise and rise and her incredible book "How to Be a Woman", the incredible performance of our female athletes in the Olympics,  and today the demise Sexy A-Levels  and their cracking analysis of why they have to close, it is clear that feminism has become ‘mainstream’.

What’s more, recent conversations I’ve been having with male friends and other men who actually care about women being visible in the media has made me realise that there are men that understand this whole feminism thing and they are actually around us.

This, coupled with my experiences this year seems to suggest that there is a feminist zeitgeist going on (What are we now? Third Wave? Fourth? Are ‘waves’ patriarchal anyway?) and this time men seem to not just be engaged, but are active and vocal about it.


I've noticed "smash the patriarchy" has been picked up by men - including the men behind Sexy A-levels, who as I mentioned earlier have packed up shop, with one of their primary reasons being how their irony was getting misused and misconstrued:
“…but at the heart of this one-joke website is the tiniest, most serious core of fundamental truth. This weird boner that Fleet Street has for soft female flesh is not OK”
Wow. Someone said it. As a woman, you get used to being objectified / criticised (sometimes by the same person!) and although I've never really bought into that,  I have to subsume my own identity into it, it does become part and parcel of everyday life and experience for many contemporary women. So it’s quite refreshing to hear men be open and honest about being feminists.


I think the likes of Moran, the female Olympians and the Sexy A-Level guys are paving the way for our generation, and hopefully the one after it. As a woman in 2012, I’m incredibly thankful for that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to say this without sounding like a chauvinist. I'm being balanced. I view and approach everyone as a person, not a race or sex.

    Is the sexism issue getting less apparent because there is less militant feminism and marginal feminist women have got on to the fact that a man can be insulting without it being sexist? Much like the same man could be seen an idiot by other males.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you sound like a chauvinist.

    But for clarity:

    Do you believe sexism is less apparent?

    And, do you think this is down to the reason you suggest, or as I suggest in part down to some men catching on to feminism - or both - or neither?

    ReplyDelete