Monday, 31 December 2012

These are a few of my favourite things... of 2012


It's been an interesting year. I don't think I can do as well as my friend Kirsty Newman (@kirstyevidence on twitter) with her 12 days of evidence post but I will attempt to list some of my personal highlights and work I have appreciated this year:


Top 5 other blogs

Top of my list has to be Dan Hodges on Julian Assange case - his usual forensic analysis coupled with articulate insight into why the Left tie themselves up so much with him

In addition: 

Stephen Tall on the Leveson recommendations

Prateek Buch with one of the best posts of the year on the size of the state

Hopi Sen on expecting our politicians to be perfect

Tim Montgomerie making the conservative case for equal marriage

In addition you can hear Stephen Tall, Hopi and Tim on this excellent edition of Westminster Hour

My year

In September I wrote this, Gloria De Piero MP asked why people hate her? and Hopi Sen wrote the piece above about expecting politicians to be perfect.

I received a lot of feedback on my post, some from some quite surprising places! However, it's clear across parties there is a need to connect better with voters.

One of the best parts of this year has been both forming new and having closer friendships, and some of my best memories come from there this year - from Stone Roses in Heaton Park through the Reading Festival, Lib Dem conference, hiking and camping in Wales and finally finishing the year with a Frank Turner concert with my boyfriend.

Top 5 Blog Posts

My top five (as in most read) blog posts on this blog this year:

Growth - read about 4 times more than it's closest rival!

Emotions and the Art of Politics (well almost)

Open Up Lobbying Manchester - an activist's perspective

Don't Menschn the kids....

Relationship Breakdown between the Electorate and Elected


2013


I'd like politics to have more in it about relationships. I'm not sure why but British politicians seem to have a lot to say about marriage, or supporting single parents / hard working families, but not a lot about how we relate to each other. Which, is quite weird when you think about it, given politics is about people.


As I research this, I realised more and more how much more I need to know, and am considering both college courses and further forms of research as a result..... I'm also keen to develop my campaigning experience, enjoy both Lib Dem conferences next year, buy a new car, and complete my first marathon. I hope to have as many readers of this blog next year, and maybe a few more.


Happy New Year to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment