Wednesday, 20 February 2013

The Human Brain Project or How I Found Out the Internet IS Made of Cats....

Today, I read this on projects announced by the President of the United States, and the European Union - the Human Brain Project, to be based in Switzerland and to cost upwards of 1.2 billion Euros  - aims to map the human brain in a way akin to mapping the human genome.

This has many exciting benefits, but one that caught my eye and hence my clicky-clicky finger is how interested the likes of Google and IBM could be in this development. Leading me onto how Google decided to construct a neural network and feed it "the internet" or data culled from Google itself.




"Control experiments show that this feature detector is robust not only to translation but also to scaling and out-of-plane rotation. We also find that the same network is sensitive to other high-level concepts such as cat faces and human bodies"


Proving that, of course, as we all know, the internet is actually made of cats. Construct a fake human brain - feed it a load of images from the internet and back it comes with : cats.

I could mention that the centralisation of data is, I believe, really only something that can be achieved by governments, and also sharing of data at user level (e.g. between medical professionals) seems relatively difficult and what is the difference between the two? 

Or, now that I think about it, there is legitimate framing for this post about human nature in politics and how this research may inform that in the future. 

But hey, who am I kidding? It was an opportunity to post a cat video, and therefore become part of the problem. 

The Internet is Made of Cats. 

QED.

No comments:

Post a Comment